Power Up The Market!
Energy and environmental law is one of our many practice areas, which over the time develops in Cyprus. As a firm, we believe that diversifying Cyprus sources of energy – and, in particular, increasing our reliance on renewable resources, energy efficiency, and demand response efforts – is critical to future economic prosperity, quality of life, and environmental protection.
We also believe that our fundamental need for energy need not come at the expense of our natural resources, environment, and public health. The core of our energy and utility practice involves the representation of individuals or organizations in a wide range of proceedings.
Στην Κύπρο, υπάρχει ανεξάρτητη αρχή που καθορίζει και εποπτεύει την αγορά ηλεκτρισμού, η οποια είναι η Ρυθμιστική Αρχή Ενέργειας Κύπρου (ΡΑΕΚ), η οποία συστάθηκε με τον νόμο 122 (Ι) / 2003. Σύμφωνα με το νόμο 122 (Ι) / 2003, η ΡΑΕΚ έχει την ευθύνη για την επάρκεια, την ποιότητα και την ασφάλεια της ηλεκτρικής ενέργειας στην Κύπρο.
Η ΡΑΕΚ είναι η αρμόδια αρχή για τη χορήγηση αδειών όλων των παραγωγών ηλεκτρικής ενέργειας, ανεξάρτητα από την πηγή ή το είδος της παραγωγής. Εκτός από τις παραπάνω γενικές υποχρεώσεις της ΡΑΕΚ, η ΡΑΕΚ έχειτην ειδική ευθύνη για τα ακόλουθα:
- - fixing of tariffs;
- - monitoring generators of electricity;
- - monitoring the electricity market to ensure free access,
- - transparency and consumer protection;
- - approving network and market codes;
- - issuing directives,
- - advice to the Minister (Minister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism) and secondary legislation;
- - handling complaints of infringements;
- - reporting on the state of the Cyprus electricity market to the European Commission;
- - approving the establishment of the TSO and the transmission and distribution codes as prepared by the TSO (see below)
- - regulating public service obligations;
- - the encouragement of the use of renewable energy sources.
CERA is a three-man authority appointed by the Council of Ministers with legal personality to sue and be sued in its own name. Law 122(I)/2003 provides that CERA is an independent authority and is not under the control of any Ministry.
Under the same Law 122(I)/2003, Transmission Systems Operator (TSO) was also established. The TSO regulates the following matters:
- The codes for transmission and distribution;
- Access to the Cyprus electricity grid;
- Maintenance and development of the grid.
It should be noted that Cyprus has the characteristics of a small and isolated market in terms of transmission and distribution with no interconnections with the grids of any other country. The TSO is an independent authority which operates within the EAC in so far as all the staff of the TSO is provided to the TSO by EAC. The transmission and distribution grid is owned by the EAC. However, the methodology of connection and access to the grid is now within the authority of the TSO. The TSO also directs EAC in connection with the development and maintenance of the grid.
Our firm represents developers and other parties in contract, business, zoning, and regulatory matters concerning renewable energy generating facilities and related infrastructure. We also help landowners review and negotiate leases, and easements for energy projects, that are fair, reasonable, and protective of property.
Our energy and utility practice is closely connected with recent Renewable Energy Projects that took place in Cyprus and of helping individuals, local governments, community groups, and non-profits protect and preserve the natural environment.
We have represented and provided counsel to clients in setting up big scale photovoltaic parks taking care all the bureaucratic work and procedures.
Also our Firm represents many Companies, who participated to the Award Procedures for Photovoltaic Systems in Cyprus, launched by the Special Fund for RES and RUE Administrative Committee of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism of the Republic of Cyprus and they managed to achieve, resulting today the preparation of their Photovoltaic Parks.
Our Firm take care the current licensing procedure for the operation of Power Generation Facilities, such as:
- Licensing for Producers and Suppliers
- Licensing from the TSO
- Licensing from the Transmission and Distribution System Owner
- Construction and building licenses,
- Grid connection permit granted by the TSO
- Licensing from any other necessary Governmental Authority depending of the nature of the project.
Οur Firm closely follows the latest developments for the new model of the electricity Market of Cyprus and the ongoing researches in the field of oil and gas in Cyprus, aiming to be ready to cope with the new data of the market and το be capable to support our clients.